I just put in my last pair of Invisalign aligners and I am moving in two days. Do I need o find another Invisalign Dentist where I move for the retainer portion or will any dentist do?
With you being at the end of your treatment, there may not be any need for you to get an Invisalign dentist involved. The exception to that would be if you had any special issues going on with your case that needed monitoring, but it didn’t sound like you did.
As for the retainer portion, you may not need a dentist at all. If you are careful and are good at following directions with attention to detail, then you can use your final pair of aligners as a retainer.
Using Invisalign as a Retainer
Here are the steps to take:
- Step One: Wear them all the time for a month
- Step Two: Wear them only at night for one to two months
- Step Three: Wear them every other night for a month or two, doing a check that it is working.
- The Check: If you put the retainers on and it is a little harder to put it on then the time before, go back a step. Otherwise, you are good to go.
- Step Four: Try every few nights for a while
- Step Five: Wear them at night just once a week
- Step Six: Eventually, you can not wear them at all but I would keep them around to periodically check that your teeth haven’t shifted. If they do shift, you can go back to wearing them some.
Teeth Whitening with Invisalign
Another good reason to keep your Invisalign aligners around is they can double as teeth whitening trays. So, while you are wearing them at night as a retainer, you can ask a dentist to provide you with some teeth whitening gel and add that to your aligners. Before you know it, not only do you have a beautifully straight smile, but a lovely white one as well.
This blog is brught to you by Midtown Manhattan Dentist Dr. Marianna Farber.