If you think often about getting your teeth straightened, but cringe at the idea of wearing traditional, wire-and-bracket braces for 2 to 3 years, Invisalign might be the perfect solution for you.
Introduced in the 1990s, Invisalign are clear, plastic trays or “aligners” that straighten the teeth in half the time of traditional braces. Custom made to fit your teeth and your unique goals, Invisalign trays are comfortable, removable, and truly invisible. No one will be able to tell that you’re wearing them—not even your family and friends.
The Candid Teeth Straightening Option
You may also want to read about Candid teeth straightening—a faster and less expensive way to straighten your teeth using a similar clear aligner system.
The Invisalign Process
Dr. Farber is Invisalign certified and has extensive experience over a number of years with this process.
If you’re a candidate for the Invisalign system, first you’ll need to have a full oral evaluation with Dr. Farber, complete with x-rays. If your teeth and roots are in good health, an initial impression will be made of your mouth using an iTero intraoral scanner. This is nothing like the old-fashioned, messy impressions of the past, where a model of plaster was poured. Instead, the iTero is a wand that Dr. Farber will use to scan the insides of your mouth. It will create a 3-D image of your mouth on a computer. Once the scan is complete, you and Dr. Farber will be able to see a simulation of your Invisalign treatment on a computer screen, including the individual movements and goals for each tooth. The computer will then manufacture a series of clear aligners, custom-designed to help you accomplish the straight, beautiful smile you desire.
When your aligners are ready, you’ll return to our office to receive your initial trays and instructions from Dr. Farber. For best results, you will need to wear your trays faithfully—22 hours a day would be good—taking them out only for cleaning and eating. In time, your teeth will carefully shift into alignment.
You should have a follow-up appointment about every 4 – 6 weeks to have your current trays assessed and to get new impressions done, so your next trays can be ordered. How long you need to use Invisalign will differ considering the initial condition of your teeth and your goals; however, many patients need to wear trays for just around a year.
Advantages of Invisalign
Here are some of the reasons why Invisalign invisible braces boast a high satisfaction rate among adults and teens alike:
- Invisalign are truly invisible, from a distance and close up. No one will notice that your teeth are being straightened.
- Invisalign trays are completely removable. There’s no need to worry about food getting trapped in them, nor is there a list of foods to avoid. You can eat, drink, brush, and floss normally.
- Comfort! Invisalign are much kinder to the insides of your mouth than traditional braces are. Because Invisalign are made of flexible, medical-grade plastic, as opposed to wire and brackets, they won’t irritate your gums or oral tissues.
- Invisalign aligners can straighten your smile in about half the time of traditional braces. Most treatments are completed in a year.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
Despite their many advantages, there are a few disadvantages you should know about before you choose Invisalign:
- Because of the high laboratory costs, Invisalign invisible braces are more expensive than traditional braces.
- Invisalign requires your commitment and diligence. If you think you might take the aligners out for long periods of time, or fear you may misplace them easily, it may be best to take the traditional route instead.
Even Faster Results
In addition to Invisalign, Dr. Farber offers the VPro5 by Propel Orthodontics. This handheld device accelerates the shifting process, and is ideal for Invisalign patients who desire even faster results. It’s easy to use at home and just takes 5 minutes a day.
If you are interested in Invisalign invisible braces, please contact our office to make an appointment for a consultation. If you’re curious to know if you are a candidate for Invisalign, Dr. Farber will be happy to meet with you in a complimentary consultation to answer your questions. Otherwise, you can schedule an examination by calling us or by scheduling an appointment online.